Liquor produced in the cellars of the monastery of Voiron, Val d'Isere, in southern France. The name derives from the Grande Chartreuse monastery where it was originally produced, located in the foothills of the Chartreuse. In 1605, the Carthusian monks of Vauvert brightened again in Paris, in the site of the Garden of Luxembourg, a manuscript with the formula for the elixir of life. Because of the complexity of the production did not begin until 1737 when, at the Grande Chartreuse of Grenoble began to make a detailed study giving rise to the first bottle. This elixir is still marketed under the name of "Vegetable Elixir of Grande-Chartreuse". The green Chartreuse instead was drafted in 1764. The yellow Chartreuse made his first appearancein 1838. When the Carthusians were expelled from France in 1903, the production of Chartreuse moved to Tarragona in Spain then returning back to France, first in Fourvoirie, in 1929, and finally in Voiron in 1935. Since 1990, the date on which the distillery was closed in Tarragona, the Chartreuse is produced only in Voiron. Hit by this mission from their religious order, the Carthusians of the Grande Chartreuse is the only ones who know the famous recipe that still remains a mystery.